“AIG’s conduct is despicable and I can only imagine how terribly they’re treating their policyholders, who don’t have my means and my resources,” Cosby said in a statement today in reaction to the confidential deal the American International Group came to with Chloe Goins over an alleged assault of the then 18-year old at the Playboy Mansion in LA in 2008.
“It was proven by the Los Angeles Police Department that I was not at the Playboy Mansion on the date in question, and was not in the State of California,” the much accused Cosby added from his Pennsylvania cell where the officially label sexual predator is serving 3 to 10 years for the 2004 rape of then Temple University employee Andrea Constand. “This woman’s supposed friend confirmed that she made up this story by denying that they knew her [Goins] and, most importantly, denying that they visited the Playboy Mansion with her,” the 81-year old actor declared.
Actually, the LAPD submitted the Goins matter to LA County D.A. Jackie Lacey’s office in late 2015, around the time Goins sued Cosby in civil court. With indications that Cosby wasn’t at Hugh Hefner’s house or even on the West Coast that night in 2008, the D.A. office said in early 2016 that it would not be pursuing the case in part because of “insufficient evidence” to prove the matter “beyond a reasonable doubt.”
On February 2, 2016, as dozens and dozens of woman had come forth with very similar stories of Cosby drugging and assaulting them over the decades, Goins pulled the plug on her own case when it appeared a settlement had been reached. However, as Cosby pursued his own legal action, the matter has continued through the courts. In fact, Cosby was schedule to give a jailhouse deposition next week – which, if past damning depositions by Cosby are any indication, was likely why AIG settled with a supposedly “pleased,” according to her lawyer, Goins this time.
Earlier this month, the insurance company came to an agreement with seven women in a long running defamation lawsuit against Cosby. At that time, the actor called the move by AIG an example of “egregious behavior” and entirely without his consent. Today, Cosby was pounding the same drum with a lot of the same hyperboles and rage.
“AIG continues to act egregiously by settling these heinous claims without my knowledge and/or consent; and AIG continues to show they’re complicit in this scheme to destroy me and my family,” the man once called ‘America’s Dad’ railed. “I encourage all of AIG’s policyholders to drop this pathetic insurance company quickly, before they destroy you and your family. Ms. Goins’s lawsuit never should have proceeded and I will still pursue my claims against her,” Cosby concluded before adding a “Thank you very much” that sounded more like the end of one of his one well attended stand-up shows.
AIG did not respond to request for comment from Deadline on the settlement and Cosby’s response.
Still, even with his current time behind bars and the cases that AIG have paid off for him, Cosby still faces an October 2019 trial date in Santa Monica over an alleged 1974 sexual assault against then 15-year old Judy Huth at the Playboy Mansion – unless that’s settled against his will too.
Subscribe to Deadline Breaking News Alerts and keep your inbox happy.